City of Scottsdale, Scottsdale, AZ – As part of Scottsdale’s Indian Bend Wash stormwater system, DBA was contracted by Sundt Construction as a key subcontractor to perform earthwork and structures for the replacement of the earthen dam at McKellips Park Lake.
DBA’s scope of work included:
- Sawcut and remove dam cap
- Drain the lake
- Remove unsuitable, saturated material from lake bed
- Remove grouted rip-rap at the dam on the upstream side
- Excavate 18” of material at the dam below the existing rip-rap
- Import new bedding material for the lake liner (3,360 SY)
- Install 40 mil PVC non-woven geotextile fabric for lake liner (37,000 SF)
- Placed 4” thick shotcrete on the liner
- Install temporary fencing with access gates, signage and barricades along the multi-use path
- Remove and replace the multi-use path around the lake (3,000 SF)
- Install 3’ wide grouted-rock maintenance accessway at the top of the dam
The project was contracted through the City of Scottsdale but required strict adherence to Flood Control District of Maricopa County regulations and permits for work within an active flood zone. The project started in early January and was fully complete in 30 days. Early in the project’s schedule, a large winter storm hit Scottsdale hard on January 7th with 3/4” of rain in one day on the upstream side of the dam. The project team had to quickly mobilize and get personnel and equipment out of the wash before the flood waters arrived.