Building on our existing relationship with the APS facility’s Construction Division, DBA was asked to continue working at the facility on an On-Call basis. The aging facility requires continual improvements and infrastructure upgrades for the next generation of technology. Starting in early 2014, DBA has completed the following task orders:
- “Be Safe” Parking Lot C – Improvements to update ADA elements to the administrative parking lot which included removal and replacement of damaged asphalt pavement, removal of all landscaped medians and replaced with granite, sealcoat the entire parking lot and installed new signage, striping, truncated domed ramps, and solar-powered, motion-activated pedestrian crosswalk flashing light system.
- Parking Lot Phase II – Required the addition of 277 concrete parking bumpers and 34 existing ADA ramps required retrofitting to current ADA standards.
- Minor Drainage Improvements – Protection around Southern California Edison power transmission poles to prevent erosion. DBA completed drainage channel reconfiguration which included excavation, reshaping, shotcrete application, and the placement of rip-rap at the spillway.
- APS FLEX Building Foundation Over-Excavation, Installation of Building Utilities, and Infrastructure Roadway Expansion – Based on the NRCS-mandated Fukashima upgrades required the construction of a new FLEX building built to withstand a tidal wave, major seismic events, and 500-year floods, DBA was tasked with providing all site excavation, subgrade preparation and recompaction in preparation for the building construction. Additional work included all trenching for utilities including fire protection line, sewer line, water and communications, as well as the installation of pipe for sewer, water and communications. The Phase I roadway project included excavation, subgrade preparation, compaction, installation of curb and gutter, and asphalt paving for 400′ long, 24′ wide access roadway.
- EMF Turnaround – Entry into the plant required passing under high-tension power lines which produced Electro-Magnetic interference with heart pacemakers. DBA was contracted to build a loop driveway to allow turn-around at the gate to avoid the field and its potential ill effects.
- Roundabout Improvements – DBA was contracted to provide construction of new ribbon curb around two roundabouts at the plant along the main access roadway. Minor concrete and asphalt pavement improvements were also included.