CMC Steel, Mesa, AZ – Continuing our long-standing relationship with CMC Steel, DBA was contracted in 2012 to complete 8 additional task orders for CMC’s micro steel mill and rebar production facility in Mesa, Arizona. The mill utilizes recycled scrap metal to melt down and reconstitute, through a patented process, which is then formed on-site into various sizes of rebar for construction projects and grapevine stakes for agriculture.
DBA was contracted to utilize in-house guide specifications to field design and construct the following projects:
- Lower Scrap Yard Access Road – Construct a 1,700 LF of 20’ wide PCCP roadway for heavy truck traffic. The roadway section consists of 12” thick PCCP with double-mat rebar over 8” of ABC. To withstand the heavy trucks with full scrap metal loads, the road required transverse and logitudinal rebar placement at 1’ on center, each way.
- Track-Out Grizzly – Construct a concrete pit with steel grating to shake mud and other dust producing materials from trucks (20’ x 12’ x 8” thick PCCP).
- Scrap Slab Extension – A 38’ addition to an existing 215’ x 30’ wide slab with 10” thick concrete over single-mat #8 rebar 6” on center, each way. The slab also called for 41 rails embedded in the concrete to keep heavy equipment from damaging the concrete finish.
- Drying Bunker – Construction of a 50’ x 70’ 3-sided structure with 10’ high walls and 8” thick concrete utilized as a drying bed for by-products of the steel milling process.
- Billet Reject Slab – PCCP slab (75’ x 25’ x 8” thick with single rebar mat) to hold rejected materials from steel mill processing.
- Flume Slab Extension and Driveway Extension to Roadway 6 – 10’ x 20’ PCCP slab with two rails embedded to protect slab from heavy equipment damage and a driveway connection of 22’ x 50’ long with 8” thick PCCP.
- Roadway 6 Addition – 510’ x 22’ wide roadway addition using 8” thick PCCP, single-mat rebar including curb and gutter.
- Sweeping Bunker Pad – 40’ x 40’ square area requiring earthmoving and compaction to support magnetic sweeping operations at the plant.