CMC Steel, Mesa, AZ – Beginning in August, 2012, DBA Construction, Inc. was contracted by CMC Steel Arizona (a division of Commercial Metals Company) to provide multiple design-build task orders for their sophisticated metals manufacturing campus in Mesa, Arizona.
Task orders included:
- Demolish & reconstruct failing concrete floor under billet line with new subgrade and reinforced concrete section
- Excavation, soil recompaction & replacement of tank foundations (10’ x 10’ x 8” thick)
- Concrete foundation and block-outs to expand billet reject table
- Placement of a 35’ x 30’ concrete forklift apron
- Slag Pit rehabilitation which included excavation, reinforcement, and concrete placement
- Construction of an on-campus roadway (Roadway 6) to consist of removal of existing asphalt pavement, replace with 8” PCCP and drainage improvements
To date, one of the most critical task orders consisted of the construction of a 5’ x 5’ x 3’ concrete foundation spanning an existing 20’ deep plume running underneath the billet line in the plant. The work consisted of installing a steel plate and angle system that would serve as a work platorm over the plume and eventually serve as the formwork for the foundation itself.